Sunday 6 February 2011

Negs in my hands

A good day today - with the show hang just three weeks away, I've had to put everything aside for a day and get to grips with my negative scanner.

There are a lot of pictures in the show that currently only exist as 6x4 prints and colour negatives. My job today is to get one or two of these digitised to a quality I'm happy with, and run a few test prints. Having been unhappy with prints and process so many times, I've now brought everything in house so I can complete it all myself.

Going well so far on a technical level, the film grain is looking a little different as digital grain, but still nice and crunchy as it should be. On another level, it's great to be looking at these older pictures in such great detail, seeing them large for the first time, and seeing the full frame rather than the cropped 6x4s I got from the labs first time around, back in the 90s! Even cleaning and handling the negatives is something I'm enjoying, haven't not done it in such a long time.

Having gone through a fairly lengthy selection process, I'm now looking at the pictures for the show with a renewed confidence in my work, and it's nice to be spending time with these pictures. I can't wait to see the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment